Old Cotton Mill at Rock Island State Park, TN
Falls City (Great Falls Cotton Mill 1892-1902
In 1892 the Falls City Cotton Mill was build by Asa Faulkner and several partners. It was the only textile mill in Warren County prior to 1930. The mill was in operation until the great flood of 1902, which destroyed many of the mills in the region. Situated on the bluff above the Great Falls of the Caney Fork River, the structure survived but was forced to close due to the loss of the turbine that washed away. The mill was operated by a flume, turbin, ropes and pulleys powered by water diverted from the falls. The operation included the manufacture of cotton wool products, and was well known for its heavy cotton sheeting. Mr. Faulkner, wanting to help those in need, hired and housed some 300 workers, predominatly widows and children. This created a booming city that included its own blacksmith, post office, farm market and store of company products.
(Info from sign at the mill)